So, ummm... where were we?
The Bamboo socks were finished on July 7. I think they came out very well.
I love the colors, too, and yeah, the pattern really does look like bamboo.
Haven't worn them yet, because it's been too hot, but now that the weather is cooling off, I'm really looking forward to trying them out.
So, once I finished those, I got some Zwerger Garn Opal Rendez-vous out of my stash, that I'd gotten in one of my very few visits to an actual yarn store. (I really must get out more!) Then I fired up Sock Wizard, and put together a pattern that would let me make a simple pair of ribbed socks.
That was on July 14.
Sadly, for the last several months, I've only had time to knit on Mondays, which is my day off. (I had Jury duty, which lasted for 2 days because it took me a while to convince everyone on "my" jury to see things my way. But they won't let you take knitting needles into the courthouse, so I wasn't able to knit there.)
So, knitting for about four or five hours a week, it took me most of a month to finish the pair. Even though it wasn't anything fancy at all.
But, once again, I'm pleased with the results.
These were a lot of fun to knit. I love the self-striping yarn; you never know what's going to come onto your needles next, which makes even a very simple pattern fun.
This pair had a knot in the yarn, which I found when I was working the heel flap of the first sock. I cut it out, and left the ends, which I worked in later, since everything I read assured me that if I didn't, the knot would work its way to the front. Or, worse yet, it would come undone at some point, and the whole sock would unravel.
But when I started the second sock, I realized that through no planning, but sheer coincidence, they were going to be almost identical twins!
So, when I got to the heel of the second one, I made my own "knot", cutting out what I thought was the right amount of yarn so that the twinship would continue. I almost made it, too. It turns out that I was off just a bit, so that the single row of dark blue yarn that you can see on the ankle of the sock on the front in the picture doesn't appear on the second sock. But I cleverly hid it, when I was shooting the photo, so you'll never know.
Except that I just told you, of course. :D
So, those were done on August 11.
Which meant it was time to start something else.
Remember the Jaywalker socks? The ones I put on hold because I blithely assumed that I was going to be able to find another skein of Lana Grossa Meilenweit 100 Two In One in the right colorway to make a second sock that matched the first?
Well, I couldn't. Neither of my local yarn shops had any, and the only skein I could find on line would have had to be shipped from Europe. The cost of the yarn was quite reasonable, once I translated from Euros, but the shipping! It would have come to about $70, US, just to get it here.
A $100+ pair of socks didn't seem reasonable to me, especially when I'm really just a beginner. (Only six months of knitting under my belt, at the time. Now, of course, it's nearly seven, so I'm much more experienced now. Still not enough to spend over $100 on yarn for a single pair, though.)
So, anyway, I've brought them back from hibernation, and for the last several weeks I've been working on the second sock. Really, I'll be surprised, nay shocked if it turns out that I have enough yarn to finish them. I've turned the heel, and I'm working on the instep now, and it seems to me that the remaining skein is getting a bit thin.
But I guess we'll find out next Monday, if all goes according to plan.
So stay tuned, and I'll let you know, now that I know that you are watching. :D
And once again, I'm sorry that I wandered away for so very long.