Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jaywalker Socks - on hold

Things have been happening, even though I haven't had the time to blog about them.

So, after I finished the Toe Jazz socks, I decided to use some Lana Grossa Meilenweit 100 Two In One self-striping yarn I have, and make some socks for me.

I thought I'd also teach myself Continental Knitting at the same time.

So I got out some really cheap acrylic yarn, and did the Continental Knitting for a while, until I thought I had the hang of it, and started a pair of socks.

A couple of days later, I looked at them, and realized that they were looking awfully small. So I tried them on and, sure enough, once again they were too small for my feet.

Once again, I had to frog them, and I used Sock Wizard to get the correct instructions for a plain sock in my size.

I started over, did about half an inch of 1x1 rib, and realized that if I did a whole sock in stockinette stitch, I'd be really really bored.

So I looked through the Ravelry patterns for one that used the same number of stitches I already had. (I wanted them to fit, this time,) and came up with Jaywalkers.

One finished sock, and the yarn left from it.


As I knitted, I realized that I really, really liked the way the striping was falling on this sock. And I began to suspect that a Jaywalker sock takes more yarn that a simple stockinette stitch sock.

By the time I was on the toe (which took weeks, because I haven't had any time for knitting except for a few hours on Mondays, which are my day off,) I knew that I wanted the second sock to be an identical, not fraternal, twin.

For a bit, I hoped that this sock would end just where I wanted to begin on the next one, but it didn't happen.

So I've decided to get more of this yarn, since I'm pretty sure there's not enough for a second sock, anyway, and just wind off as much as necessary to get to this point in the striping before I start the next one.

I just hope I can find the yarn with no trouble!

No comments: