Saturday, April 12, 2008

Seeing the Yarn Harlot

The Yarn Harlot (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee) came to Ann Arbor yesterday, and I got to go to her speech!

Michael was at work until 4 pm (as he usually is,) and Skyia was working at the Student Clinic at her Massage School (as she often is,) and we only have the two cars. So I had to wait until Michael got off work, and then he took me to the Ann Arbor Library for the show. (He wanted to see her too.)

We got there an hour early, and that was too late. The room only held 137 people (with chairs, according to the sign outside it,) and it had gotten filled to capacity 45 minutes earlier.

We were sent up to the "overflow" room, where we could watch her on closed circuit TV. Considerably better than nothing, but not really like being there. We missed all the things that the audience said, for instance; we just heard her response (rather like hearing one side of a phone conversation.) Really, I wish she'd just sell CDs of her speech. It would be just like my experience, and I could watch it as often as I liked!

The only thing that was different from watching at home was being surrounded by knitters while we waited, which was kind of cool.

I bought my copy of the book during the hour between getting there and the speech, but I didn't read it until I got home. Instead, I sat there and worked on my Sock, as planned. Michael got up at one point, before it started, and told everyone that as long as we were upstairs, and not in the room where she'd be speaking, we should all hold up our socks, and he'd film them. And he did.

The speech was wonderful; as great as I had hoped it would be. Very funny, and also very informative and thought provoking.

Before she starts to speak, she takes pictures of the audience, for her blog. In our case, she took one of the camera, to represent all of us who couldn't be in the same room! :D

There was a question and answer session afterwards, but of course none of us had any way to participate in that. We did get to hear those questions, though, because the people asking them were required to go to a microphone so that we could.

Which was nice, because our room was just about filled to capacity too. Michael guessed that was around 150 more people. I think that she's outgrown the Library. Time to find a bigger venue for next year.

Then it was over, and we all went downstairs and stood in line to get our books autographed and have a moment to talk to her ourselves. Michael and I stood in line for about an hour and a half. I started talking to the people in line with me, and had to be told when it was finally my turn. (Which was a bit embarrassing, as you can imagine.)

I had already decided, having been on the other end of such lines, to forgo the autograph, and give her a short hand massage instead. I'd even had Skyia coach me, so htat I'd do it right. So that's what I did. I think she might have liked it.

Then I showed her my socks, and she took a photo, and then it was time for the next person, so we left. (I did mention that I think her publisher is trying to kill her. She said no, they are trying to sell books. It just looks the same.)

After that, we went to the Busy Hands, which was having a 20% off sale (they had sponsored her, and were open late for us,) where I bought a couple skeins of self-striping sock yarn, and asked to be notified when another one was in stock again.

After that, it was off to Real Seafood for an excellent dinner, and then we trundled home, exhausted.

So I got to meet a number of other knitters, (although only one from Ravelry, as far as I know) and got most of my sock done, and generally had a wonderful time, in spite of several attacks of "shy." (This is the most I've mixed with other people in years. Pathetic, but true.)

If you are in a place where you can see the Yarn Harlot, I highly recommend going to see her!

No comments: