So yesterday I decided to try a pair.
I looked all over, on line, and found that there was a video tutorial about turning the heel of a baby sock at KnittingHelp.com so I decided to download the .pdf of the sock she was using, and try it.
Since I use the Magic Loop technique, not double pointed needles (fewer needles to buy) I also had to figure out how to translate a pattern that uses instructions like "Knit until there are 3 stitches left on Needle 1" into something that I could use. (Answer; use Stitch Markers, and pretend.)
But it worked out, and I have Achieved Socks!
I made them in Sugar'n Cream, which is a fairly thick cotten yarn, because I was experimenting, and I wanted to be able to clearly see my stitches, and keep track of what was going where. Which worked quite well.
They aren't perfect. There are some tiny holes in the fabric where I picked up the stitches after turning the heel. But they are undeniably socks.
The next project is to make some full-size, for me, since the Yarn Harlot is coming to Ann Arbor on Friday, and I plan to be there if I possibly can. The thing is, when you go to see the Yarn Harlot speak, it's necessary to be knitting a sock. So I'm going to start them now. That way, I'll have one on the needle to show socktitude!