Monday, April 7, 2008

Baby Steps with Baby Socks

I really want to knit socks.

So yesterday I decided to try a pair.

I looked all over, on line, and found that there was a video tutorial about turning the heel of a baby sock at KnittingHelp.com so I decided to download the .pdf of the sock she was using, and try it.

Since I use the Magic Loop technique, not double pointed needles (fewer needles to buy) I also had to figure out how to translate a pattern that uses instructions like "Knit until there are 3 stitches left on Needle 1" into something that I could use. (Answer; use Stitch Markers, and pretend.)

But it worked out, and I have Achieved Socks!




I made them in Sugar'n Cream, which is a fairly thick cotten yarn, because I was experimenting, and I wanted to be able to clearly see my stitches, and keep track of what was going where. Which worked quite well.

They aren't perfect. There are some tiny holes in the fabric where I picked up the stitches after turning the heel. But they are undeniably socks.

The next project is to make some full-size, for me, since the Yarn Harlot is coming to Ann Arbor on Friday, and I plan to be there if I possibly can. The thing is, when you go to see the Yarn Harlot speak, it's necessary to be knitting a sock. So I'm going to start them now. That way, I'll have one on the needle to show socktitude!

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

You are amazing.

That's all.

Caitlin :)

Robin Wood said...

/me blushes

But, really, Caitlin, it's just all knit and purl. Well, and a few SSK (Slip, Slip, Knit) and K2tog (Knit two together) both of which are really easy to do.

For socks like this, the only part that's hard at all is when they say "Pick up 8 stitches on the edge" and you have to do that without having another needle to lean on while you do. That's the part that threw me.

But, once again, it's all shown in a video at Knitting Help.

I'm sure you could do socks, too!

They only *look* really complex. :D

Robin