Wednesday, March 26, 2008

XO Fingerless Mitts, just begun

As promised, I've started to work on a pair of fingerless mitts for my partner.

The problem is, as I mentioned before, that I'm just beginning to knit. So I choose some beautiful, fuzzy purple yarn, and started on the pattern. (You can find it here, if you're interested.)

About six rows in, I realized a couple of things. First, you won't be able to see the cable, because the yarn is way too fuzzy.

Second, it's possible that it's not a good idea to knit gloves with yarn that Ravelry describes as "Super Bulky" even when it doesn't appear to be any thicker than the Worsted weight acrylic I've been practicing with.

So I took them over to my partner, and said, "Honey, are you sure that you want them in this yarn?"

Yes. Yes she does. She says it's a beautiful color, and warm, and fuzzy, and the cable will be kind of "stealth" kisses and hugs all up the back of her hand.

So I'm working them in the yarn she likes.

Partially finished very fuzzy purple fingerless gloves with stealth cable on the back


I had to wait for a delivery for a couple of hours yesterday, so I got the body of the glove done. (Not that I did it in a couple of hours, that was just added to the time I was going to knit anyway.) I still have to do the thumb, which should be .. ummm .. interesting.

However, the knitting isn't hard; and the other things, that look really hard when you see the description on paper, seem to make much more sense when you're actually doing them.

So that's what I'm going to be doing tonight.

I also found another yarn store, that's quite a bit closer to me and has a lot of really great yarn; but I'll blog about that later. Right now, I want to start knitting!

6 comments:

Caitlin said...

Hi Robin
I am so impressed with your knitting, I'm a beginner too(although I've know how to knit for years - I just never did any) and I'm still on dishcloths ha ha.

The weather has turned cold here and you have inspired me to take the plunge, I'm attempting my first pair of fingerless gloves this weekend.

Happy Friday!
Caitlin (from Ravelry)

Robin Wood said...

Hi Caitlin!

Thanks!

I didn't do any dishclothes, because I don't use them. (I use a sponge, with a scrubber side.) If I'd looked at the patterns at Ravelry before, though, I might have. Some of them are really beautiful!

The fingerless gloves aren't nearly as hard as they look. I used the Magic Loop, which AnnieMouse showed me before she left for Europe, and it's fun and easy.

I'm looking forward to doing a second pair of real fingerless gloves, with a thumb (not like the first folded-over pair.) But I'm going to use a yarn that lets me see the stitches. :D

What pattern are you planning to use? There are so many really nice ones!

Keep me posted!

Robin

Caitlin said...

Hi Robin
Well I have to confess I haven't used the dishcloths either, they're too nice and I also use a sponge with a scrubby bit for the dishes. Maybe I'll give them away.

I started with a simple fingerless glove pattern my sister (who is also on Ravelry) gave me, but it's actually too easy...or at least too BORING!! It's just garter stitch all the way - yawn, no thumbs just sew it up and leave a thumb hole. So I've ripped it out and I'm looking for something just a little bit more challenging - but not so much as to give me a nervous breakdown :).
Caitlin

Robin Wood said...

Yeah, the Garter Mitts? I agree. Boring.

The first mitts I made were flat like that, with just a gap left for the thumb hole when I stitched them up; but with ribbing and things to give them some interest.

Are you ready to do increases and decreases? And to knit in the round? (I use Magic Loop, because it looked much easier than juggling four needles.)

If you are, I can recommend a mitt pattern.

If not, and you want it, I can write up the pattern I used for my first pair. You can see a photo in my Projects on Ravelry.

Caitlin said...

I think I should take the plunge and try something in the round with the increases and decreases. I'd love a recommendation.

I also think I need one of those magic loop things. I'm not sure about juggling four needles - I'm so uncoordinated I'll have someone's eye out...probably mine.
Caitlin

Robin Wood said...

Hi Caitlin!

Sorry that I didn't notice that you'd commented before.

I'd recommend the Custom Fit Fingerless Mitts. They are very easy to knit; just some k2p2 rib, and then knitting around and around.

They're the ones I made for Micheal in the next post. There's also a link from my Projects page on Ravelry.

If you don't want to try knitting the thumb part, you can just bind it off, instead, and it will work perfectly.

Magic Loop is just knitting on a single circular needle. I recommend getting one that's 40 inches. It really is easier to have the extra slack.

There's a video of how it's done on the Knitting Help site, here.

I haven't tried the DPNs, but I like the Magic Loop (and there are fewer needles to buy!) :D